Strategic Communications Internship
Jul 25, 2019, 13:00 PM
Harper’s Ferry, WV or Washington, DC
Federal Policy, Strategic Communications
Director of Federal Policy and Legislation
Internship – Paid
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy seeks a paid ($250.00 bi-weekly) student intern to fill a part-time (21 hours per week) position from September 2019 – December 2019. This intern will assist the Director of Federal Policy and Communications Manager in researching and reporting on federal policy needs as well as on executing issues relating to federal advocacy.
- Watching and reporting on legislative hearings, tracking legislation;
- Assisting on the A.T. U.S. House Caucus management and updates on AT/ATC matters (perhaps the development of a regular newsletter, which may provide a template for ATLP newsletters);
- Working with Communications and Federal Policy staff on copy for Congressional submissions and action alerts;
- Conducting research and reporting on federal recreation and land management policy;
- Conducting research and reporting on issues relating to rural economic development;
- Conducting research and reporting on conservation finance issues, particularly at the State level;
- Being available, as needed, and within reason, for other tasks.
- Junior or senior status, college graduate, or other combination of experience;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Interest in the Appalachian Trail and the work of the Conservancy;
- Dependable, flexible, organized, with the ability to work individually and on self-driven projects
- Must demonstrate attention to detail and possess solid oral and written grammar communication skills
- Desire to learn and contribute
- Courses in advanced writing and editing, photography, video and digital media desirable.
- Candidates who are contacted for an interview should be prepared to submit two current writing samples.
- Working on the computer for prolonged periods
- Ability to communicate with individuals by phone, e-mail, and in person
- Sitting for prolonged periods
Work from home and/or shared/open office environment with high noise level
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers
to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to
being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an
effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination
in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity
and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic
information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and
regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position Type :
Careers - Internship