Visitor Services Internship
Mar 5, 2018, 14:12 PM
ATC Visitor Center - Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Marketing and Communications
Jeff Metzger, Visitor Services Supervisor
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is seeking a Visitor Services Intern to assist in the Marketing and Communications Department. Under general supervision, the intern will assist in all functions related to the visitor center operations. The visitor center receives around 3,000 visitors a month varying from long distance hikers, day hikers, potential hikers, general visitors, kids, and people from all over the world. This position requires facilitating hikers, providing information on local hikes and attractions, and being a reliable source for A.T. information trail wide. This position requires some weekend work. Guidance and training will be provided.
- Greet visitors and educate them about the A.T. and ATC
- Give visitors reliable and useful information about local hikes and attractions
- Greet and take photos of hikers
- Maintain hiker package list and hand out packages to visiting hikers
- Assist with store inventory and all aspects of stocking visitor center
- Assist with paperwork and data entry related to ATC’s hiker photo archives, 2000-miler database, and membership database
- Provide insight and develop a presentation reporting visitor center effectiveness
- Assist with answering information requests by phone, email, and mail
- Other duties as assigned
- Has or is working towards a Bachelor’s degree in hospitality and tourism, outdoor education, recreation management, communications, or related field.
- Owns/has access to a reliable laptop to bring to work each day, equipped with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience and passion for working with the public
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Great communication skills and outgoing personality
- Preferred: Knowledge about the A.T. and local hikes in Harpers Ferry and surrounding areas, as well as a passion for hiking.
- Working on the computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to communicate with individuals by phone, e-mail and in person.
- Sitting for prolonged periods.
- Shared/open office environment with modest noise level.
To apply for this position please submit your resume to: email@example.com. All resumes should be emailed as a Microsoft Word document, saved as "Last Name_First Name". Please indicate in your email (preferable in the subject line) the position you are applying for along with the term. For example "Visitor Services Intern_Fall20XX".
Fall Term: Applications due by September 15th
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers
to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to
being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an
effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination
in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity
and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic
information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and
regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position Type :
Careers - Internship